Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd (2)


Science is arguably one of the most pivotal disciplines we as humankind have at our disposal.  I am grateful to have had good grounding and practice in it, as I labored at my PhD in clinical psychology at Northwestern University.  It has a prominent place in my Theory of Algorithms and in The Tripartite Model in particular.  So, for this week's articles, I share my posts on Google+ about a household-name scientist and his not-so-household-name colleague and how their fateful collaboration staked a horrific pivot in human history.  I had posted these as a linear narrative, but here I thought I'd do so more (I hope) as a serial drama, that is, in five parts.

(image credit)
Physicists bombarded the nucleus with alpha particles, and it wasn’t working. Szilárd came up with a brilliant alternative (rf. Part 2: Einstein's Equation of Life and Death).

(image credit)
Szilárd thought neutrons, which had no electric charge, would not be deflected by the positively-charged nucleus.

(image credit)
Szilárd expected his method to produce more neutrons, and thereby start massive chain reactions of energy release.

No comments:

Post a Comment