Monday, January 28, 2013

Part 1 - A Beautiful Matter


A Beautiful Mind

 

The American mathematician and genius John Nash said this, as portrayed in ‘A Beautiful Mind.’ I really love this film. I bought the DVD years after the release of the movie, but it was months before I actually watched it again.

It was March 21st 2010, when I did.

I wrote in my journal afterwards: “I crystallized an idea that’s been ‘brewing’ in my head for several months. In brief, it’s to penetrate the surface of things deeply, and extract the algorithm(s) of how these things work.”

It was a kind of revelation on the massive, complicated work that will occupy the rest of my life.


‘A Beautiful Mind’ was a dramatization of John Nash’s trials and triumphs - partly factual, partly fictional. But what it moved in me was totally real. It was nothing short of a tectonic shift in my thinking and a forthright advance in my purpose.

I am blessed to have had many years of education and to have built up good confidence in my thinking. I am thankful to my parents for this. So when John Nash said this bit about pigeons (to the snickering derision of his classmates) I knew I could do it, too.

I could look through the governing dynamics of everything, and extract the necessary algorithms.

John Nash, played by Russell Crowe, in 'A Beautiful Mind' (image credit)
What is an Algorithm?

Many people think of algorithms as mathematical formulas for solving problems or as computer code for doing calculations. Stanford PhD students, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, for example, came up with much better search algorithms, and these algorithms underpin the colossal success of the company they founded: Google.

Millions of us take it for granted that when we enter a keyword, Google algorithms will bring a wealth of information at our fingertips and at fractions of a second.

How do I define algorithms?

As conceptual, mathematical, and procedural: in other words, theoretical, numerical, and practical.

It was initially conceived by the 9th century Persian mathematician Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī.

(image credit)
The Latin version of his name is Algoritmi, from which of course “algorithm” was derived.

Accordingly, Theory of Algorithms is a framework for solving problems and completing tasks, and it aims to do so in a better way than we’ve done before.  It is also a way of knowing things in our world more sharply and deeply. So in this regard, it aims to be a complete epistemology, too.

Who am I?

I was born in Manila, grew up in Chicago, and lived in Dubai. I have traveled the US, Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Africa. So ask me where home is, and I’ll tell you, “the world.”

I love to tinker with ideas. I love to solve problems. I love helping people. I do a good job of grasping things, seeing below the surface, and looking at the big picture. They say everything is linked. I draw on these links to get a good sense for people and the world around us.”

That’s how I begin my profile statement on LinkedIn. Please feel free connect with me!

Reality, as is

A central tenet of Theory of Algorithms is this:  It is important to look at reality as it is - to take things as they are - without preconceived notions or judgments about these things and without expectation or desire to have these things be something else.

(image credit)
We get asked, Is the glass half-full or is it half-empty? It often makes for a cool debate. They say that depending on how you see it, you’re either an optimist or a pessimist. But in reality the glass is both half-full and half-empty, isn’t it. Not either-or.  The realist accounts for both optimist and pessimist.  

Let’s take a more complex example.

(image credit)
In The Allegory of the Cave, by the Greek philosopher Plato, prisoners are segregated into a small section of the cave and prevented from looking around.  They’re bound to face only the wall. There is a fire behind them, and there are objects being paraded in front of the fire, including human figures. The prisoners see the shadows cast on the wall.

It is easy enough to determine, and to judge, that what the prisoners see is not reality, but rather mere representations of reality.  It is also reasonable enough to expect that these prisoners will want to be released and, more importantly, want to see the reality behind these shadows. Apparently enlightenment is a presupposition in this allegory.

What does Theory of Algorithms say, instead?

To understand this situation fully and meaningfully, we must look at it, and approach it, first and foremost, from the point of view of the prisoners themselves. Not our point of view. Not even Plato’s or anyone else’s.

In this regard, this play of shadows, which perhaps they’ve seen for years, maybe since birth, is their reality. The circumstances of their imprisonment are very much part of that reality, too. Aside from their fellow prisoners, for them humankind is a dark, feature-less lot that dances on the wall.

Remember what I said at the outset, about my wanting to penetrate the surface, extract the algorithms, and grasp things more deeply and completely. So, if Heaven forbid I were one of those prisoners, I would question, wonder about, and reflect on aspects of my situation.

But, then, not everybody wants the same things I want. This is my second point, Not everyone wants the things I want, and vice versa. There are of course similar ideas and interests among us, but in reality each one of us is fundamentally as unique as fingerprints.

Where does this take us?

Among these prisoners, there may be some who have questioned and penetrated a deeper reality of their situation. They will probably jump at the opportunity to be released, turn around, and confirm their speculations.

However, consider this.

Cypher, in 'The Matrix'
'The Matrix' trilogy is a modern-day, high-technology allegory of the cave. In the seminal first film, Cypher turns out to be a traitor. He betrays Morpheus, Neo and Trinity, essentially selling them out to agents of the Matrix. Given the austerity of enlightened life, he prefers instead the juicy steak that he can eat within the programmed, ‘fake’ reality of the Matrix. There is only horrid slop to eat, otherwise, aboard the Nebuchadnezzar.

So there may be other prisoners who, upon second thought, want to remain bound and sequestered. Perhaps the shadowy humankind they have come to know provides them safe, enjoyable entertainment.

What may be undesirable for one, may in fact be desirable for another.

Theory of Algorithms, in summary

In brief, then, Theory of Algorithms encourages us to (1) look at everything as is, keeping in mind that human reality is part of reality.  It also encourages us to (2) avoid preconceived notions about things and (3) avoid sweeping generalizations about people. Finally it encourages us to (4) understand others and their situation first, as best as we can, before making judgments or drawing conclusions.

Reality is vastly more multifaceted than perhaps many of us can imagine. Not everything in reality is complex, of course, but I believe that we run into difficulty when we take an overly narrow, preconceived or simplistic view of things.

But of course how each of us views things is a matter of personal choice. So once again I say, That is how it is. We start from there, and we go from there.

From John Nash himself

It was Russell Crowe who played John Nash in ‘A Beautiful Mind.’ This is John Nash himself.


John Nash
This is my aspiration with the Theory of Algorithms.

© 2013 by Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment