Friday, August 15, 2014

Key & Peele on Social Matters


(image credit)
The Peabody Awards program, named for businessman and philanthropist George Peabody, recognizes distinguished and meritorious public service by radio and television stations, networks, online media, producing organizations, and individuals.

Reflecting excellence in quality, rather than popularity or commercial success, the Peabody is awarded to about 25–35 winners annually from more than 1,000 entries.  Because submissions are accepted from a wide variety of sources and styles, deliberations seek "Excellence On Its Own Terms."
Key & Peele, along with their creative and production team, won the Peabody Award last year.  I've watched just 20 of their 150+ sketches on the Comedy Central channel, and I can say that this award is quite well-deserved. The following sketches illustrate their distinguished and meritorious public service, as they are positively courageous and comedic at tackling tough social issues:

 
Oh, I get it:  I'm not persecuted, I'm just a asshole.
Whew Key & Peele simply attack conventional notions and displays of what it means to be gay.

  
Hold up, you like "Twilight"?

Yeah, I like "Twilight"!
Key & Peele know how to tap a topical film and weave it into an age old problem - and prejudice - around gang banging.

  
Is it a ticket or is it a 2-for-1 coupon for my show? 

I'll take the ticket.
What if that seemingly corrupt cop, who pulls you over, were truly a magician, pulling your leg with drugs and flowers?  

  
It's like because I hate myself so much, I've got to point that hate outward... towards you!
So rarely do we get insight into the bully and his upbringing, that Key & Peele take it upon themselves to help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment